Thursday, November 4, 2010

Skittles and Friends

Hello! Welcome back to the Feast of Magic blog!

Today I want to talk about some of the cards that I love from Scars of Mirrodin... And I don't mean I love them because of how powerful they are in gameplay or because of how much they are worth. I mean that they inspire me with the flavor of Mirrodin and make me actually want to be a part of such an exciting world.

As I followed the MTG site through the SoM previews there were, of course, a few things that stuck with me... things that I decided I absolutely must get my hands on once it did release...


The first preview card that Mark Rosewater posted not only made me excited for the new set, but also became my number one endeavor. When the set finally did release I told myself that I would not stop buying boosters - not even for a day - until I owned a copy of Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon.

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

First of all, how cool is this card? A mythic Legendary Creature - Dragon Skeleton (the first ever, I might add). It not only has flying and haste, but you get to regenerate after you use the new infect mechanic! Four abilities! Awesome!


And so I set out on my quest... booster after booster. (I don't believe in buying the cards I really want from a set outright from a store until that set is no longer the most recent... I feel it takes the fun out of it, plus everything is more expensive when it's new. Besides, my local hobby shop was constantly out of it and needed people to trade it in... It was actually the second card to sell out, after Hand of the Praetors. They even got tired of having to write - and spell - "Skithiryx" up on the board so often that they, like many other hobby shops, deemed him "Skittles".) It took me nearly a full month of buying boosters and booster boxes constantly before I got my hands on a copy! Finally, I did and was so relieved that I didn't have to keep getting copy after copy of Tempered Steel or Semblance Anvil. I'm proud to say that I have a few copies of Skittles sitting around today.

Even before previews began, there was a little piece of SoM art floating around that looked something like this:
This is what I feel prepared everyone for what was to come, so it was fitting that Sunblast Angel was my very first rare from the set. Oh yes, when the set released Thursday night at midnight, I was standing in a nauseatingly long line at the local hobby shop to attain my first few Scars of Mirrodin boosters. I can't actually believe that I stood in line for close to an hour for 4 booster packs when everyone around me was popping for boxes, but I felt that it would be good not to rush it since we have to wait until February for Mirrodin Besieged to release. So I bought 4 boosters. Sunblast was rare number one, followed by the first of many many Anvils, followed by Mindslaver, and Leonin Arbiter. How funny is it that Mindslaver was my very first MTG card EVER and then I get the new copy in my first round of Scars boosters? Oh well, I thought so...


 A few other cards that I feel must be mentioned in my Scars favorites are as follows:
















 And for no particular reason at all, a guilty pleasure of mine:




I'm sure there will be much more Scars of Mirrodin discussion in the future, so don't be discouraged if some of your own favorites didn't end up here. We have plenty of time to talk before Mirrodin Besieged creeps up upon us. In the mean time, comment and let me know what some of your favorites are... And as always, be sure to check back soon - there's so much more to come!

Happy Collecting!

- Brasif





No comments:

Post a Comment